Our Dermatologists want you to know these skincare secrets.
Secrets of Staying Young (Our “Fountain of Youth”)
Here are four tips that almost all Dermatologists agree upon.
- Limit sun exposure and use a sunscreen of SPF 30 everyday (SPF beyond 30 yields only marginal benefit)
- Moisturize your skin regularly
- Avoid smoking and other oxidants/pollutants
- Use a retinoid every night (available by prescription)
Tips for Minimizing Sun Damage
Here are five tips that almost all Dermatologists agree upon.
- Avoid the Texas sun from 9:00am to 5:00pm
- Use sun protective clothing (hats with brims; certain companies specialize in clothing with proper SPF protection. We recommend coolibar.com, sunprecautions.com, or underarmour.com.
- Use SPF 30 and apply sunscreen at least 15 minutes before going outside. There is no such thing as a “waterproof” sunscreen and all sunscreens should be reapplied after swimming.
- Use sunless tanners to get a tan (but this tan will not protect you from sun damage)
- Avoid unnecessary UV damage (tanning beds, etc)
Tips for Dry Skin
Here are three tips that almost all Dermatologists agree upon.
- Forget lotions and instead use a moisturizing cream or ointment
- Moisturize while the skin is damp or wet
- Minimize soap usage and limit usage to areas needed